Friday, March 12, 2010

GAME Plan

My GAME plan for two indicators in the NETS-T.

1. Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences and assessments.

Goal: I intend to incorporate digital tools and resources to maximize content learning and develop knowledge skills and self development attitudes in my students. With my adult students I realized that they need to research certain themes and present their conclusions, using word documents. My goal has been to firstly help them do effective research on the data validity using the proper processes and tools to do so, then prepare a presentation form other than word document making their learning experience richer and more diversified.

Action: They will analyze the validity of websites as they do their research on the various topics. They will then prepare the presentation of their work using different technologies to do so.

Monitor: I will monitor the work they do, how they analyze the sites, which tools they use and then also monitor the diversity of tools they decide to use, and also monitor the tools the tools they appreciate most, using them in other subjects with other teachers after having learned how to use them in my classroom.

Evaluate and extend learning: We are able to evaluate the adult motivation through, attendance, enthusiasm as they come to the lessons eager to work and learn more about the topic they are studying and the method they will use to present their work.

2. Engaging in Professional Growth and Leadership.

Goal: I intend to keep myself informed as to current research and professional practice on a regular basis to make effective use of existing and emerging digital tools and resources in support of students learning.

Action: I would start in this course using the RSS reader in order to be able to visit each of my group members’ blogs, review their GAME plans and see if I may be of assistance and gladly accept the assistance of my fellow colleagues.

Monitor: I will try to view the blogs on a daily basis and monitor the updates to the blogs and view how many blogs entries I have made.

Evaluate and extend learning: View my blog participation throughout this course and reflect on my learning experience in order to be able to enhance my students and fellow colleagues at schools’ learning experience with this tool.

International Society for Technology in Education Home. (n.d.). International Society for Technology in Education Home. Retrieved March 11, 2010, from http://www.iste.org

9 comments:

  1. Maria,
    I enjoyed reading your blog! The second indicator that you chose caught my eye! That indicator is exactly why I chose my Master's program, integration of technology in the classroom. I really wanted to grow as a professional in that area, and my school system was not enabling me. I have been excited to see that my theory on my decision is often proved right when considering the world we live in and the changing needs of our students.
    I can tell you put a lot of thought into your GAME plan, it looks great!Blogging is a very effective tool for continuing your growth.
    Sarah Horner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria,
    Thank you for waking me up concerning professional development and leadership and my Masters experience. Sometimes I become so wrapped up in my weekly lesson plans, graduate course assignments and my mom job that I forget to realize how far I have come in my professional development in the area of technology due to my Walden program. You placed on spot light on the knowledge I have gained over the months in pursuing my advanced degree.
    In the past few months I have introduced Web 2.0 tools to my students with success and a few hiccups, but everyone learned and had fun. I still feel I should be doing more by sharing my knowledge with my co-workers, but it seems they are set in their ways of teaching, do you have any suggestions as to how to excite other teachers about the NEW technology available on the web such as blogging, wikis or voice threads to name a few?
    Jennifer Hardy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria,

    I would like to read all of my colleague's GAME plans, too, and included this goal in my own GAME plan. But I am finding that as easy as it is to do so, I am still forgetting to look (for example, I posted Monday, and today, Sunday, is the first time I have looked at my RSS reader, or even my own blog, for new postings or comments).

    This scenario nicely illustrates the function of the GAME plan: My Goal, of becoming more connected to fellow professionals has not been met yet. Even though part of my Action ( reading my RSS list) has been accomplished, the Action part about habituating myself to the whole blog scene has not been satisfactorily accomplished. As this posting suggests, my Monitoring step has caused me to see that my Goal is not yet reached, and my Action has not been followed through.

    Reading blogs is much like reading emails. I am now habituated to the email scene, and naturally open it up about three times daily. If I can just get to the same level with my blog-reading (or even just once every two days or so) I will be satisfied.

    I like how organized your posts are—whether in your blog or in our discussions.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah,

    Thanks, I feel great to know that we do share common objectives. It is so much easier to know that we are not working alone but that there are people out there that have the same thoughts about students’ needs and that are just as eager as we are to go ahead and learn the best ways to suit the students needs and to prepare them, the best we can, for their future.

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer,

    I have also come up against many set ideas but we have to do the same with our colleagues as we do with our students. Motivate them, see what they would need and show them how to get there. We have to explain it to them because sometimes people think that the things are too difficult for them to learn and they prefer not to try. We need to be persistent for the benefit of everyone.

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tim,

    Do give yourself a little time, you cannot be expected to change your routines at such short notice.

    Do you know what I do to try minimizing this problem that I too have? I have set iGoole as my homepage when I log onto the net. Here I have my Google reader that shows me my blog: entries and responses as well entries from blogs I follow. In this course I created a tag for group 6 to which we belong and I had already created a class tag with all the colleagues’ blogs. As I log onto the internet I automatically see all the entries of the groups I follow. If you are not already using this model, try it out. It works for me; maybe it will work for you too.

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maria,
    Thank you for the response to my post, I guess in education persistence could be the key to everything. As I trained my puppy to go to the bathroom outside, I had to be persistent. When I taught first grade i was persistent that my students learn their letter sounds and how to read, I never gave up. I think I am not as persistent in teaching my co-workers, once they roll their eyes at me, I cave in and say why bother. I have another plan as the tech teacher, I teach their students who share their knowledge with their classroom teacher, and they seem to scurry down the hall to find out more. Kind of sneaky, but it works.
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jennifer,

    Your plan works for the benefit of everyone. I can only say, Well Done!

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maria,

    I was intrigued that you teach adult students. We often talk about the younger learner, and even high school students have a very different frame of reference from adults.

    When I was in high school I could have care less for most of my subjects and did just enough to breeze through and graduate.

    When I became an adult and went to college at 32 I really appreciated the learning process so much more and put a tremendous amount of effort into my studies, effort that would have been unheard of for me as a teen.

    Do you find your adults are more eager to learn than many traditional high schools students?

    I am also impressed with your attention to self improvement using technology in the classroom.

    take care

    Rob Zingg

    ReplyDelete