Thursday, April 1, 2010

Evaluating my GAME Plan Progress

Evaluating my GAME Plan Progress
1. Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences and Assessments
• How effective were my actions in helping me meet my goals?
I feel that the students are corresponding very well to these digital age learning experiences. I have already started getting work that I have started uploading, with the students´ authorization, to our adult education site. I have still not completed learning how to create a e-portfolio, I am expecting to have time this following week to get into this.

• What have I learned so far that I can apply in your instructional practice?
I have learned that there are some problem based learning strategies I would like to include.

• What do I still have to learn? What new questions have arisen?
I have still to learn about many new digital age tools to be able to implement them in the learning experiences.
I have heard of Rubistar and have seen the site, although I need to experiment, preparing a rubric using this software.

• How will I adjust my plan to fit my current needs?
The plan does not need adjusting, it needs constant updating.

2. Engaging in Professional Growth and Leadership
• How effective were my actions in helping me meet my goals?
I have been learning, but as I get to know more, I realize that I still need to carry on because this process does not end.

• What have I learned so far that I can apply in your instructional practice?
I have learned some more information about Problem Based Learning that may be of utmost importance to my colleagues that are involved in the adult education program with me.

• What do I still have to learn? What new questions have arisen?
I can only say what I need to learn based on what I know now, yet tomorrow I will need more because when I learned what I thought I needed to learn I just discovered that behind that there is so much more. I have to keep an open mind and realize that the more I know in this field the less I feel I know, so I will just have to try to keep up (this is the phrase I could use to be kind on myself).

• How will I adjust my plan to fit my current needs?
My plan is open ended, so I just need to monitor and evaluate periodically to see if I maintain my goal and just carry on engaging in my professional growth as well as leading my peers in the same direction.


Maria

6 comments:

  1. Maria,

    Since it seems that about the only way to evaluate PBL-both the process and the product- is through rubrics, I, too, will check out Rubistar, or some similar tool.

    As far as e-portfolios go, have you updated your WaldenU one yet, since the new platform has been introduced? How, for example, do you upload a file to it? I still haven't added my stuff from our last course to it! It took me a log time to work my way through the last one.

    Regarding your classes, what are you using for e-portfolios? Are you using free service online?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim,

    I have already submitted mine. This system is much more user friendly than was the previous one. When you open the portfolio, in the middle there is a phrase: MSED ITC 2008 Artifact Model. Click on that and it opens another page. On the left hand you have all the outcomes. If you click on the previous outcomes you will see that your previous work has been uploaded. Upload the work for our last course onto the outcome S3.1. Just click on the outcome and you will instantly see where you may upload your files. Hope I have been of help, and hope I am correct.

    The portfolio has examples of rubrics for us to use ext. While we are students we are able to get ideas from these models.

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria,
    I have used Rubistar and I like it as well. It definitely streamlines the process. My students are getting used to using them because I usually develop them for several projects throughout the year. I liked your statement that our process of development does not end. It is so true and I have found this Master's program to have been a great asset to my personal growth and am looking forward to implement what I have gained over the past year. I only have a couple of courses left and must admit I am glad to see the end in sight as it is more work than I can handle at times, but we all face challenges that make us who we are so I, like most others, just keep plugging away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maria,

    I have never used rubrics in my classes. The subjects I taught were all based on a combination of how well they did on class work, test and quizzes and my feeling of their effort on their projects and out of class field work.

    Some of the class evaluation was very objective, how many your got right or wrong on a test, others were more subjective, how did I think they did, was their effort commensurate with their ability and special education issues; were they lazy, did they work well with others, did they do more this time than they did last time, etc.

    I am coming to see that rubrics may be a valuable tool in my behavior disorder classes as they are white or black; if you did 10X much you got this grade, if you did 6X much you a different grade. They can't argue, because their class work/participation is recorded and given to them so they can't argue they did or did not do something.

    I guess I will have to break down some of the last few barriers I still have with new ideas and techniques.

    take care

    Rob Zingg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Virgil,

    I am also coming to the end of the Masters Program. I also have two more to go and am already starting to feel that I will miss this communication with all of you. Learning new things, sharing my thoughts and learning with all of you has been wonderful and has compensated the energy that this extra work has drawn out of me.

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rob,

    I agree with you that rubrics may be a very important asset in the behavior disorder classes you have. If they are able to see what gives them points they might start working firstly just to get enough and as they see this results, try a little harder to become better. It might be the way. I agree that you should try it out.

    Maria

    ReplyDelete